Tuesday, February 7, 2012

When organs don't do their job. Yeah I'm talking to you pancreas. You lazy jerk.

What do I have in common with....


Nick Jonas



Mary Tyler Moore



and this girl from that movie Panic Room?

Kristen Stewart pre vamps. Always makes me feel weird.


 Type 1 Diabetes


Two weeks ago I went to the doctors and my life kinda changed. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Right after Christmas my body began to slowly freak out. It felt like everyday I had another weird symptom to complain to Aj about. Constant thirst, lightheadedness, peeing x10, blurry vision, constant need to eat, joint pain, hives and I was oh so tired. I avoided and avoided all those fun things for a couple of weeks until my gut wouldn't let me ignore it anymore.

Sooo blah blah blah blah blah boring doctor office stuff blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah type 1 diabetes. Really?!?!

Now, being diagnosed with a lifelong chronic disease at 24 years old that must be treated everyday through shots of insulin and constant monitoring or else I could have major complications is a huge horse pill to swallow. Trust me I have mourned my old normal. and I will probably mourn more and then mourn some more after that just because I may be feeling sorry for myself that day. I'm not taking this lightly. The lightheartedness that may be seen is just a coping method.

But I am a blessed little lady. Oh so blessed. Me and my pancreas had a good 24 year run. Some people don't even get that. and I know that the Lord made my body exactly the way he wanted it, free loading organs and all. All for His glory, right? The beautiful, the painful, happy, sucky, loving, and fun.Yes it all is.

So here I am now, a new diabetic and kinda a mess. There is alot of new information I'm trying to learn and I'm trying to become comfortable with my new normal. I have to be a full-time wife, full-time graduate student and full-time pancreas all at the same time. Yes, my new hobbie is pretending to be a pancreas. Some how I am going to find a way to use these new skills/hobbie as a resume builder=brightside.

Courtney's thoughts on life with diabetes so far:

-My pain threshold has increased
-I feel more in control of the way and things I eat than ever. I've barely eaten processed food in two weeks. This is always a good thing.
-I'm going to make diabetes as cute as possible. I'm talking cute medical ID bracelets, adorable carrying cases for medical supplies, maybe a blinged out glucose monitor. Of the options!
-Sugar free Jello is the bomb
-If someone ever says anything to me about what I can do to "fix" my pancreas and get rid of diabetes I might actually just rip out my pancreas and make them eat it. There's no cure for type 1. Google it.
-I've given myself 56 shots in the past 2 weeks. How long till I get my nursing license through some type of grandfather clause? ...I honestly don't even know what a grandfather clause is.
-I don't want my disease to be a secret or something I feel like I have to hide. That's why I'm blogging about it. This is now apart of me and my story.
-It's not as bad as I thought it would be. At least today.....

and why the Panic Room picture and reference above? Well that is one of the first things I thought of when I found out I had diabetes. Really. Kristen Stewarts boy looking character in the Panic Room. Like really Hollywood? You provide me with inaccurate, long lasting images for everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment