Friday, January 25, 2013

Anniversary and Type 1 Diabetes Sucks and Cure Please

Today is my diabetes anniversary.

A year ago I was diagnosed with a chronic auto-immune disease that impacts every hour of my life. I decided today that I wasn't going to default like usual and write a light, funny and smiley post about diabetes. I do plenty of that. I decided this because sometimes I worry that I may not truly be portraying the whole picture of what it's like to be a person living with type 1 diabetes in my daily life and on this here blog. I feel like from the outside, it may look easy. That from the outside it may look easier than other diseases. You know cause for the most part, type 1 diabetes can be an invisible disease. If it wasn't for glimpses of my insulin pump and medical ID bracelet, most people wouldn't know that my body is any different than any other healthy 20 something year olds. They can't see with their eyes that my body cannot stay alive any longer on it's own without daily medical treatment. They can't see that my body is dependent on a medication to stay not only healthy but alive everyday. They can't see that a medical emergency constantly but quietly hangs over my healthy looking body.

"Well Courtney, but why does it really matter if type 1 diabetes looks easy or not to people who have functioning insulin producing beta cells?"

I say, it matters a lot. You know why? When things look easy, they have the opportunity to be put on the back burner. I don't want a cure to be put on the back burner because someone with type 1 diabetes looks healthy enough or normal enough from the outside. I don't want a cure to be put on the back burner because type 1 diabetes doesn't look "bad" or "life threatening"  enough to the American public (who most don't even know that there is more than one type of diabetes) to really crank out a real cure.

I want a cure, because this disease sucks. I want a cure because I don't want anyone I love to have to live with this disease.

So I would like to cheers my first year with diabetes with an Internet toast.... cheers to the reality of type 1 diabetes being properly recognized and to a future cure, maybe not in my lifetime but in someone else's life time.

Tonight I'm going to celebrate a hard ass year by going out with Mr. Hubbalicious and stuffing my face with some amazing desserts. and I'm going to maintain amazing blood sugar numbers while doing it.


1 comment:

  1. Terrific article! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the web.
    Shame on the search engines for not positioning this put up higher!

    Come on over and visit my web site . Thank you =)

    Also visit my page - More Material

    ReplyDelete