Thursday, February 23, 2012

It's pretty much like having a baby. Pretty much.

I've come to the conclusion, after being diabetic for a month now, that type 1 diabetes is a baby. Yes a baby. Now, I'm not with child and I've never ever been with child but I've watched a lot of Baby Story episodes, 16 & Pregnants, and have heard some pretty crazy rumors of what its like to be pregnant or have a baby. So what I'm saying is that my expertise is mighty high.

Type 1=Baby

1-You ever heard of pregnancy brain or mommy brain? Well I have diabetes brain. Honestly, I forget things all the time now. Aj will ask me a question and I will start responding to the question then half way into my response I totally forget what the question was and why I'm even talking. I also do this when I go into a room to get something or do something and I completely have no idea why I am there. For example, I'll go into the kitchen to start making dinner and then once I enter the room I'll think "What? Was I going to do the dishes, get my bookbag, or get a drink?" Half an hour later I'll realize, ohhh yeah I was supposed to be making dinner. It feels like my brain is constantly resetting itself.

2-When you have a baby, so I've heard, you have to get up extra early/start getting ready to go anywhere super early becuase not only do you have to get yourself ready but you got to get that baby ready. Same with diabetes. I have to feed the diabetes appropriately (counting carbs), I have to check to make sure the diabetes is feeling okay (checking blood sugar level), I have to discipline the diabetes sometimes/all freakin time (insulin shots), and I have to mentally plan the diabetes day (when will diabetes eat next, how long it has been since diabetes ate, when to check on diabetes next).

3-You know how moms have to carry huge bags? Babies make mom's do that. So does diabetes. The things I now carry around with me make me look like I should have a toddler trailing behind me. Juice boxes, little snacks. But brightside= Diabetes made me buy a new purse. I really liked diabetes that day. Oh and the purse is big and so amazing. I loooovee it. I can probably carry around at least 10 juice boxes in that thing.

4-I hear babies are little black holes for money. Guess what, so is diabetes. I have developed a love hate relationship with my insurance company.

5-pancreas=dead beat dad? You know, not really doing his part and carrying some of the load.

Type 1=Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment