Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weekend Notables

-Finally decided to actually buy a new camera this weekend. We've needed a new one since summer when our old one started to crap out. Our old camera was a scary little thing. I'm talking lots of ghost orbs and demon red eyes. But that camera did last 4 years. That's pretty good, right? Aj and I were talking as we left Best Buy about how if this camera lasts 4 years too then it could be what we use to take pictures of my grad school graduation, of our first home purchase, of our first child......that's really crazy to think about. A lot could happen in 4 years.

-Aj and I went out to dinner on Saturday night. This resulted in our first sighting of a stranger with diabetes and with a insulin pump! Well Aj's first sighting. I missed it. You see, we were walking through the restaurant leaving, and I of course was too busy strutting my stuff like I was walking a runway (don't act like you don't do this when you are walking through a restaurant) and as soon as we walked out the door Aj says:

Aj-That guy in there has diabetes and a pump just like yours.
Courtney- What, wait, who, where, how do you know, are you sure?
Aj- Yeah positive, he was testing his blood sugar as we walked by.
Courtney- Why wouldn't you tell me?!?!?!?!
Aj-Why, what would you have done?

What would I have done?!?!? Good question. I don't know. Maybe I would have accidently thrown dropped my insulin pump under his table. Maybe I would have walked by and yelled "Type 1's say what!?!?!" and hope that he would have responded "Whohooo." Maybe I would have ran by with my hand sticking straight out high fiving everyone at his table. Most likely I would have just awkwardly tried to make eye contact and then continued on. I don't know. But just seeing another actually person, a stanger, who's living like I'm living is sooooo exciting. That stanger gets this weird diabetes part of my life better than any family member or friend. It's just fun to see.

-I had my first attack against my insulin pump by a door knob. I was expecting this to happen at some point but man did it scare the dickens out of me. When the tubing caught the door when I was walking full speed it felt like someone grabbed my ponytail and pulled me back real hard. Except just imagine your pony tail was attached to your belly.



This week is going to be crazy busy and I'm fully expecting to feel a lot like this by the end of the week

google images


No comments:

Post a Comment